Triq Hagar Qim , Qrendi, Malta
Opening Hours: Monday to Sunday 9:00 - 17:00
- Adults: € 9.00
- Youth/seniors: € 6.50
- Children: € 4.00
Ħagar Qim, is a megalithic complex located in the southern side of Malta, it is made up of a main temple and three additional megalithic structures which lie in the vicinities. The main temple was built between 3600 and 3200 BC; however, the megalithic ruins found north of the temple are even older.
Similarly to the other temples found in the Maltese islands, Hagar Qim follows the same structure. This includes a forecourt and a façade, elongated oval chambers, semi-circular recesses and a central passageway which interconnects all the chambers, this structure is often referred to as 'trefoil'.
Ħagar Qim's façade contains the largest stone in any of the Maltese megalithic temples and other structures weighing 57 tons. The stone, which stands upright ( also referred to as menhir) stands at 5.2 metres high.
Having been discovered 1839, the temples had already suffered significant erosion from natural sources. Following further excavations in 1885 by Dr. Caruana, and Sir Zammit in 1909 the temples and surrounding areas had by then been fully excavated. Some artefacts from these excavations were taken for further studies and now lie in the Museum of Archeology in Valletta, some of the items available on show there include a stone altar, a decorated slab and various statuettes which are also known as "fat ladies". However little has been done in terms of restoration, except for some reinforcements on some stones to ensure that this gem of a temple remains true to its original nature.
Heritage Malta, has however built shelters around the temple to shield it from the natural forces and thus reduce the levels of erosion on the temple. As part of the works a visitor's centre has been built near Ħagar Qim Temples. This includes an auditorium which gives an audio-visual introduction, as well as exhibit space where some artefacts and reproductions taken from the Museum of Archaeology now lie.